A 2009 poll conducted for Mayors Against Illegal Guns found that 69% of NRA members and 74% of non-NRA member gun owners believe that the federal government should not restrict the police’s ability to access, use, and share data that helps them enforce federal, state and local gun laws.1
That same 2009 poll found that 96% of NRA member and 94% of non-NRA member gun owners believe that criminals who possess, use, and traffic in illegal guns should be punished to the maximum extent of the law. Eighty-six percent of NRA members and 85% of non-NRA member gun owners agree strongly with this concept.2
Another national survey conducted for Mayors Against Illegal Guns in January 2007 found that 91% of Americans think police should be allowed to find out who sold and bought a gun that is found at a crime scene. Seventy-eight percent of respondents strongly favor this policy.3
This survey4 also found that:
- 90% of poll respondents favor allowing police to share information with other cities and states about who sold and bought a gun that is found at a crime scene. Seventy-five percent of respondents strongly favor this policy.
- 72% of respondents favor using gun sales information to revoke the licenses of negligent gun retailers who repeatedly sell guns that end up being used in crimes. Fifty-seven percent of respondents strongly favor this policy.
- 66% of respondents favor (48% strongly favor) the use of gun sales information in lawsuits against firearm retailers who repeatedly sell guns that end up being used in crimes.
A national poll conducted for Mayors Against Illegal Guns in the spring of 2008 found that 79% of Americans favor raising the maximum federal penalty for illegal gun trafficking from 10 years to 20 years in prison.5
A poll of likely 2004 presidential election voters found that 86% of Americans favor making gun trafficking a crime with penalties as serious as drug trafficking.6
- Dr. Frank Luntz/Word Doctors for Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Gun Owners: NRA Gun-Owners & Non-NRA Gun-Owners 4 (Dec. 2009) at http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/downloads/pdf/luntz_poll_questionnaire_and_responses.pdf. ⤴︎
- Dr. Frank Luntz/Word Doctors for Mayors Against Illegal Guns, America’s Gun Owners Support Common Sense Gun Laws 9 (Dec. 2009) at http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/downloads/pdf/luntz_poll_slides.pdf. ⤴︎
- Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research & The Tarrance Group for the Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Strong Public Support for Tough Enforcement of Common Sense Gun Laws (Graphs) 14 (Jan. 23, 2007), available at http://www.greenbergresearch.com/articles/1849/2630_MAIGslides.pdf. ⤴︎
- Id. ⤴︎
- Greenberg Quinlan Rosner Research & the Tarrance Group for the Mayors Against Illegal Guns, Americans Support Common Sense Measures to Cut Down on Illegal Guns 6, (Apr. 10, 2008), available at http://www.mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/downloads/pdf/polling_memo.pdf. ⤴︎
- Penn, Schoen, & Berland Associates, Inc. for Americans for Gun Safety, Winning the Gun Vote (Oct. 16, 2003) at http://www.dlc.org/documents/AGS_Penn_1003.pdf. ⤴︎