Last updated November 1, 2011
Model Laws for a Safer America is designed for use by activists and elected officials nationwide seeking to close dangerous loopholes in our federal regulatory system. This unique publication provides sample language for state and local laws to: 1) require background checks on all gun purchasers; 2) license firearm owners; 3) register all firearms; 4) regulate firearms dealers and ammunition sellers; 5) require the reporting of lost or stolen firearms; 6) impose a waiting period before the sale of a firearm; and 7) limit firearm purchases to one per person every 90 days. The publication also includes a discussion of common opposition arguments and legal issues.
Model Laws for a Safer America is the latest publication from Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Our other publications include:
- Guns in Public Places: The Increasing Threat of Hidden Guns in America;
- Gun Laws Matter: A Comparison of State Firearms Laws and Statistics;
- America Caught in the Crossfire: How Concealed Carry Laws Threaten Public Safety;
- Open Carrying: Provocative Conduct, Dangerous Consequences; and
- 10 Myths About Gun Violence in America.