The Law Center is pleased to announce our latest publication, Model Laws for a Safer America: Seven Regulations to Promote Responsible Gun Ownership and Sales. The book of model laws can be used by activists and elected officials nationwide seeking to close dangerous loopholes in our federal regulatory system. The publication provides sample statutory language for state and local laws to:
- Require background checks on all gun purchasers;
- Require the licensing of firearm owners;
- Require registration of firearms;
- Regulate firearms dealers and ammunition sellers;
- Require the reporting of lost or stolen firearms;
- Impose a waiting period before the sale of a firearm; and
- Limit firearm purchases to one per person every 90 days.
Our in-depth knowledge of state and local gun laws, together with our legislative drafting experience, make us uniquely qualified to help community leaders develop policies to address America’s gun violence epidemic. Each of the model laws contains detailed legislative findings showing the need for, and benefits of the law. The publication also includes a discussion of common opposition arguments and legal issues.
We are available to provide assistance to any jurisdiction seeking to tailor a model law to its particular needs.