State Law Background
North Dakota does not:
- Require a background check prior to the transfer of a firearm between private parties;
- Require a permit to carry concealed firearms in public;
- Prohibit the transfer or possession of assault weapons, 50 caliber rifles, or large capacity ammunition magazines;
- License or significantly regulate firearms dealers;
- Limit the number of firearms that may be purchased at one time;
- Regulate unsafe handguns;
- Require the licensing of gun owners; or
- Impose registration requirements on firearms.
In 2017, North Dakota had the 25th highest gun death rate among the states. North Dakota also supplied crime guns to other states at the 15th highest rate among the states. North Dakota exported crime guns at nearly twice the national rate and at a much higher rate than it imported crime guns.
North Dakota Firearms Laws
For details about specific firearms laws in North Dakota, choose a topic below, or see all of the firearms laws in this state.