What We Can Help With
Our staff responds to requests for assistance that relate to laws and policies to prevent firearm-related deaths and injuries. We provide assistance such as:
- Explaining the legal significance of existing and proposed laws.
- Researching and analyzing current law and options for reform.
- Developing regulatory policies and model laws.
- Drafting laws and regulations for specific jurisdictions.
- Reviewing existing and proposed laws and offering recommendations for improvement.
- Responding to legal arguments raised against existing and proposed legislation.
- Evaluating legal issues related to the enforcement of existing laws and potential new strategies.
- Helping to secure pro bono litigation assistance, for example, when gun regulations are challenged in court.
What We Can’t Help With
We only undertake work that will help prevent gun violence. Giffords Law Center does not respond to questions about personal firearm ownership (such as how to obtain a particular weapon or a concealed weapons permit) or administrative questions relating to the acquisition or retention of a federal firearms dealer license. Information about personal firearms ownership can be obtained from state or local law enforcement. Information about federal licensing of firearms dealers can be obtained through the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives’ website.
We also do not provide individual legal advice, assist with specific legal cases, or create attorney/client relationships. Any concerns about your particular legal situation should be addressed to a local attorney or local law enforcement. If you feel you are in a dangerous situation involving a gun, please contact law enforcement immediately.
Request Assistance Form
Activists and public officials seeking assistance from a Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence expert should complete the form below.
The information contained on this website has been prepared as a service to the internet community and is not intended to constitute legal advice. Use of this website, including use of the request assistance feature does not create an attorney-client relationship. Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence has used reasonable efforts in collecting, preparing, and providing quality information and material, but does not warrant or guarantee the accuracy, completeness, adequacy, or currency of the information contained in or linked to this website. Users of information from this website or links do so at their own risk and should consult an attorney if engaging in the actual drafting, enactment, or litigation of any regulatory or related matter.
LINKS TO OTHER WEBSITES AND SERVICES
To the extent that this website contains links to outside services and resources, Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence does not control the availability and content of those outside services and resources. Any concerns regarding any such service or resource, or any link thereto, should be directed to the particular service or resource.