Indiana does not permit any person, including a person licensed to carry a handgun, to possess a firearm in or on:
- School property (including private schools and preschools1 ); or
- Property that is being used by a school for a school function or on a school bus.2
However, a person who is specifically authorized by a school board may carry a concealed firearm on school property.3
See our Guns in Schools policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue.
- See Ind. Code Ann. § 35-41-1-24.7 for a definition of “school property”. ⤴︎
- Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-9-2. In Indiana, a student who is identified as bringing a firearm to school or on school property, or in possession of a firearm on school property, shall be expelled for at least one calendar year. Ind. Code Ann. § 20-33-8-16(d). The school superintendent may, on a case by case basis, modify the period of expulsion for a student who is expelled under this section. Ind. Code Ann. § 20-33-8-16(e). ⤴︎
- Ind. Code Ann. § 35-47-9-1(a). ⤴︎